Will the Browns Look at Benie Wells in the 09 Draft?

From: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Some fans want the Browns to pick Beanie Wells. The Browns figure to draft in the 6-10 area, and the OSU star back may be there. But I believe the needs on defense are more important. Between Jamal Lewis, Jerome Harrison and Josh Cribbs (third-down back), the Browns can put together a running game in 2009.

9 Responses to “Will the Browns Look at Benie Wells in the 09 Draft?”

1. tswitz says:

I heard Chris Spielman talk last week on WHBC in Canton regarding Wells. Chris questions Beanie’s toughness because he is always pulling himself out of games. Chris doubts that Wells is NFL material. He lacks the toughness.

2. Dan B says:

I am not sure Beenie is what we need. I am sure if we draft him, he will be a bust and if we don’t he will be a Hall of Famer! We need defense that will put pressure on the QB and get sacks! Big Baby needs help from some aggressive LBs as does our defensive backs. With some pressure and sacks the DBs will be fine. The team needs an identity, someone to inspire the rest and put some fear in the opponents.

3. Jason says:

I vote for taking beanie. Our defense is awful, but I’d expect to shore that up with all remaining picks post the first round, plus free agency.

Our first round pick should be an impact player, immediately. Jamal has been solid, but clearly well past his prime. We need a fresh power back, in the mold of a Matt Forte / Brandon Jacobs, and we need it now.

4. Ryan Miller says:

Absolutley Not! The Browns main concern are to address the defense this offseason. Considering Andre Davis is the slowest linebacker in the NFL, Im sure he will not be retained for the 09 campaign. So the Browns will take Ray Mauluga ILB USC with the 5th overall pick in the 09 draft. Hopefully Javon Ringer RB Mich St. Is there in the second round, and there would be no reason to pass him up. He appears to be another CLinton Portis, same size, very very fast. good compliment to Jamal who looked like he lost a step in 08.

5. Alex says:

Wells is a good running back, but I agree that defense comes first. What about Orakpo from Texas? If we were going to look for a RB I think Moreno from GA is by far the most talented in this draft class.

6. Sean says:

Wells would be a good fit in Cleveland. How quickly everyone forgets that Beanie played all last season with a bum ankle and a messed up hand. He will play hurt. But my vote would be for Malcolm Jenkings. Pair him with Eric Wright and you have the best corner tandem in the NFL. Maualuga will be a bust just like every other USC player from the last 8 years.

7. Zach says:

I personally hate these things but i decided to give my opinion anyway…..
    I never even waste time in my day to talk to people about who the one an only CLEVELAND BROWNS should draft, because it is either just a waste of time or a total shock (Joe Thomas + BRADY). We need to fill a lot of spots on D and the O-Line is slowly rotting, and i believe our running back is turning 50.
    This draft will not bring miracles but this is what i want..

Orakpo – if we dont get him, I promise you someone on our team will be hurt from him. I like to have him on our team instead of playing against him. Look at him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUc3UL64f0

Crabtree – a game changer. i know we dont need another WR but he will win games for who ever he is with.

Beanie – i dont like him i see him getting hurt. A beast in college, but i just dont see him being as good in the NFL

Curry – i like him, but i would take him with the #5

Malcolm Jenkings – I believe our #1 need a solid CB, an i believe the best in the draft.

who i like
    1.) Jenkings
    2.) Orakpo
    3.)Crabtree

8. Zach says:

I personally hate these things but i decided to give my opinion anyway…..
    This draft will not bring miracles but this is what i want..

Curry – i like him, but i would take him with the #5

who i like
    1.) Jenkings
    2.) Orakpo
    3.)Crabtree

9. Sean says:

I like the move to sign st. Clair because most likely he will be an asset to the “slowly rotting” offensive line even though he is a vet. the browns need help on defense but need an impact back. Jamal Lewis While sturdy is no longer the explosive player he used to be which is why i think they have to make a move for Beanie and possibly Javon Ringer as well having those two would give the browns not only a fresh power back but also an extreamly explosive speed back in Ringer i would even look at the possiblity of trading up in an attempt to claim both wells and ringer