Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns have requested and received permission to interview Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis for the vacant General Manager position.
The move bolsters reports that Browns owner Randy Lerner is (as FOX’s Jay Glazer put it) “in love with” former Jets coach Eric Mangini, since the reports indicate that Kokinis would be Mangini’s top pick to serve in the G.M. role.
Though Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli remains by all accounts Lerner’s preference, Cabot reports that things could change — quickly — if Lerner takes a shine to Kokinis.
While the Browns are permitted to interview Kokinis under a new rule that allows a non-high-level front-office employee to be interviewed before his team’s playoff run ends, Kokinis can’t be hired until the Ravens finish their current season.
It remains to be seen whether Browns fans take a shine to what one league source called a potential Groundhog Day arrangement, with Lerner hiring another former Patriots defensive coordinator and another Ravens executive.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Browns Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Browns Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cleveland Browns news.
- Browns 2020 Slate Released, Team to Open in Baltimore Vs Ravens on
- What’s the Status of the Browns Receiving Core as Free Agency Closes In? on
- Who Would the Browns Use the Franchise Tag on If Needed in 2020? on
- Report: LB Joe Schobert Won’t Be Back with the Browns in 2020 on
- Browns with Eyes on Veteran QB’s Case Keenum and Chase Daniel in Free Agency on