Should He Stay or Should He Go?

ADDITION Stallworth Pedestrian Killed
Donte Stallworth has been a letdown for the Cleveland Browns on and off the field. In early March of 2008, the Browns signed the former New England wide receiver hoping that he would pose threat to the opposing defense working together with Braylon Edwards. To be up front about it, 17 receptions in 11 games with 1 touchdown – well, I wouldn’t call that a “threat.”

Not all blame can go toward Stallworth for his statistical letdown because nobody performed up to expectations last year. So, you let it go and hope for next season; right? No, because then comes to off-the-field activity. As you all know, Stallworth was involved in a DUI incident that turned fatal for another man. It seemed he was facing years in prison due to the seriousness of the crime, so Cleveland prepared themselves all offseason to replace Stallworth. Some notable transactions at the WR spot include:

David Patten Free Agency
Mike Furrey Free Agency
Brian Robiskie 2nd round pick
Mohamed Massaquoi 2nd round pick

To say the least, the Browns invested a lot of time and money in preparation to replace Stallworth and build onto their group of receivers. When he only received 30 days in jail, that brought up the question in a lot of minds, “should the Browns keep or discard Stallworth?” Here is where the organization will have to look into all the factors.

First off, they’re already 5 plus deep at the receiver spot without Stallworth. Secondly, the NFL is going to lay down a suspension on him of probably 8 or more games. Then, you must consider what you’re saying as an organization by letting him back onto the playing field after such a terrible crime.

The decision should be obvious for the Browns after considering all the factors; let Stallworth go. He’s human and he’s going to make mistakes, but the line has been crossed. I’m not saying I don’t want the guy to do what he loves and finish out his career, I’d just rather not see it done in brown and orange.

7 Responses to “Should He Stay or Should He Go?”

1. Dan says:

Let him go. He was injured the first half of the season last year. He’s a cry baby and a punk. Do all his fans expect the Browns to baby sit him? You have big responsibilities when you’re a pro athlete. If you can’t live up to them , “pack yer bags and git outta town”.

2. DPrall says:

Yea, if they don’t let him go I believe it’d put a big dark cloud over the franchise (darker than the one causing us not to win haha). Killing a man, purposely or accidentally, leaves you no spot on the Browns roster. If somebody else wants to take him in, they can diminish their own reputation.

3. Clayton says:

I would be surprised if he got a suspension of 8 or more games. I predict less than that. Furrey, Patten, Robiskie and Massaquoi have gone some distance to shore up our receiver core, but there is no question that the Browns are not satisfied yet at that position. If Stallworth is let go, it should be because we feel we don’t need him on the field given the roster and his performance last season. Letting him go because the Browns are too Holy of an organization to have a player convicted of DUI manslaughter is a mistake. Letting him go as some kind of punishment for what some believe was a light sentence is stupid. We have no idea if it was a light sentence without researching the issue in terms of other similar cases with similar facts.

He will play again for the Browns.

• DPrall says:

There’s a few problems I’m having with this whole situation. Number one, being after I looked up some DUI manslaughter cases, I saw that most people get at least 5 years in prison. Also, some get a permanent revoke of their driver’s license. Secondly, from a football stand point, if we are to keep Stallworth and not make any other moves at the WR spot, that would leave us with: Edwards, Stallworth, Cribbs, Patten, Furrey, Robiskie, and Massaquoi. Seven deep is quite a bit. The NFL has a history of giving guys multiple chances and Stallworth isn’t a repeat offender, but as a Browns fan I think it’d just bring too much negativity toward the franchise. Statistically, a little over 1 reception per game last year isn’t helping his case with the Brownns. I hope Stallworth still gets to play football for a career because he loves the game, but I just don’t see any positives out of him being on the Browns roster.

Well I need to chime in hear and say, what we don’t know here is the extenuating circumstances. There is a thing in the law called contributory negligence; just like it sounds, it means if you caused or contributed to your own undoing in a reasonable fashion or to a reasonable degree, you can’t sue or are limited. This guy ran off the curb in front of his car to try to hurry to catch a bus. It could very well be if he was stone cold sober he would have hit him anyway. I know this exact spot where this happened and am down throough there a couple times a year. I can say that it is a very bad and almost stupid/irresponsible spot to be doing that. On the other hand it happens there a lot. So do you come down on the side of he should hvae known, or a reasonable man should have(Donte), or he’s a tourist and has a right to expect to travel on a road while obeying…….
    How about the guy should have known??? This is the prosecutor’s dilema, and if he thoought for a moment he could convict and make points for himself…don’t forget they are political animals…. he would have. This could happen to any one of us WITHOUT the booze, or whatever. IMHO

I need to clarify, when I say it happens there a lot, I mean people darting out in the street against the traffic.
    And…I in no way am in favor of keeping him, but for playing/non-performance kind of reasons.

6. DPrall says:

Contributory negligence often only deals with suing, or amount sued for. Due to the undisclosed amount the family got, we don’t even know how much that had an effect on this case. I’m not a lawyer or anything, but I don’t think it has any effect on the actual sentencing. I don’t know anything about the spot or the extenuating circumstances, but in my eyes Stallworth knowingly drank alcohol and drove, which is against the law. Due to the irresponsibility of his actions, another life was taken. It just baffles me because I’ve seen/heard of people doing 30 days in jail for misdemeanor offenses. Maybe I just value life more than our judicial system haha. Like you said, political animals. One more thing, if the Browns release Stallworth, I don’t see it being solely for non-performance reasons, but I’m sure it’ll be a factor. You don’t normally sign a guy to a 7-year, $35 million contract and release him after one lack luster season without having other reasons.