Connect with us

Opinions

Shooting Selves in the Foot

Browns Packers Football
Like I wrote a few letters ago, the Browns fans deserve a lot better than what we have gotten since the return of the Browns. I have just come to find out that the Browns have raised their parking prices to $25. If they don’t get the fans, they can’t pay the salaries which in turn leads to, lack of fans attending the games and no one coming to Cleveland to play for this team. Browns fans are the most dedicated fans in the country, but you can only give them the shaft so much.

Last night was a debacle. The Browns showed us fans nothing at all. We had a few rookies play decent, but the veterans absolutely sucked. We got nothing accomplished. We were out rushed by 200 yards, we threw 4 interceptions, we gave up a 5 yard average on the ground, Green Bay moved the ball at will, Edwards was true to his 08 form of dropping passes, no pressure on the QB, we had no rushing game except for Cribbs 29 yard end around, we shot ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties again. How do you get a holding penalty on a FG attempt or an XP. 2 defensive holding penalties and a holding penalty on the 31 yard FG attempt. I think the boys in the chocolate colored pants are going to run some laps this week.

We did have a few highlights. Mostly by the rookies. We did have two interceptions. One by Viekune and one by Coye, both rookies. We had 2 sacks, one by Bernard (a rookie) and one by Mosley (a 1st year Brown).

If this was a sign of things to come, then we’re in a heap of trouble. I realize it’s pre season and we don’t want to show all of our weapons too soon, but come on guys, you have to show some basic football skills. Ryan promised there would be plenty of pressure on GB’s QB with our revamped DL and all kinds of new stunts. Actually it looked like you pulled the same stunts you pulled last year. Quinn comes back in the game, hit Cribbs with a 22 yard pass in which he gets tackled by the facemask?

Another 15 yards added on. What do the Brownies do with it? NOTHING at all. We are going into our 11th year back. What do we have to show for it? That’s a 54-106 record since the return? That’s not what dynasties are made of ! ! ! 3 more games before the season starts. The Browns don’t have a real tough schedule this year, lets hope we take advantage of it and give the fans something to cheer about.

6 Comments

6 Comments

1. Clayton

August 16, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Dan – I agree in part with your two articles in terms of the woeful performance of the Browns against the Packers. But I think it is dangerous to put much weight on pre-season games. They are meaningless and are not necessarily good predictors of things to come.

2. Whiggy Tease

August 16, 2009 at 4:40 pm

It’s got to be the damn brown pants. We can, however, fight back…

3. Dan

August 16, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Clayton,
    I agree 100% but I think they still need to be able to play with the basics, like tackling, blocking and cutting out the stupid penalties

4. Pool Mike

August 17, 2009 at 1:03 am

I just watched the miserable Browns game from yesterday on the NFL station. I wanted to see how we scored ZERO points, worse than anyone in the AFC. How pathetic. These guys are the typical Browns with no fundamental skills. Football is a game of intimidation; we were intimidated. Football is a physical game; we were not competitive. Football is a game of execution; we could not execute.

Who will be responsible for the upcoming 3-13 season? I look to management. Are we recruiting to fill seats or to win games? Are we staffing players and coaches to a budget or to win games? I think the answer is obvious. Prove me wrong.

5. Dan B.

August 17, 2009 at 3:02 am

Yeah, great game! Another year of abuse for being a Browns fan. Thanks Brownies, looking forward to another stellar year. AT least this year I did not get my hopes up, that way I have less of a fall. Same old Browns, nothing for us to look forward to!

6. Dennis Thompson

August 17, 2009 at 4:19 pm

This team is looking like another pathetic disaster already. Someone mentioned that there were some starters missing from the defense, but Green Bay was missing half a dozen themselves — and the offense still couldn’t move. The offensive line wasn’t pushing anybody around that I saw. And, as we have seen for a decade now, the D-backs were soft and easy to exploit, probably due in no small part to 5-6 seconds for the QB to look over the field and wave to his parents in the stands. This is shaping up to be another season of morbid curiosity. It’s like the old Cleveland Browns joke: What does a Cleveland Browns game and a Billy Graham revival have in common? 70,000 people all screaming “Jesus!”