Browns Win Ugly; Top Bills 6-3 in Buffalo

Browns Bills Football
How exactly did they win this game?

When your starting quarterback (Derek Anderson) goes 2-for-17 for 23 yards, and your offense totals 193 yards, it’s usually a receipe for disaster. For the Browns though on Sunday in Buffalo, they used a late Buffalo fumble by kick returner Roscoe Parrish to get an 18-yard field goal from Billy Cundiff for a 6-3 win over the Bills.

Let’s just say that despite it being Eric Mangini’s first win as coach of the Browns, it’s not a game that is going to be up for an ESPN Classic anytime soon. The game seemed more like a throwback in where the offenses were awful and the defenses both had good days.

The Bills, who are now also 1-4, had 288 total yards, but punted on 7 of their 12 possessions and did little throughout. The Browns punted on 8 of their possessions, and other than Jamal Lewis, who had his best game of the year with 117 yards on 31 carries, the team seemed stuck in the mud like the Bills.

Cundiff, playing for the hurt Phil Dawson, kicked two field goals for the win. Rian Lindell had a 36-yard field goal at the 10:10 mark of the third quarter to tie the game, but it was to be the only score on the day for the Bills. Browns punter Dave Zastudil should get a game ball, as he downed seven of nine punts inside the Bills 20, including three inside the 5.

The Browns ended a 10-game losing streak, one short of matching a franchise worst. The Browns’ last win also came at Buffalo, a 29-27 victory November 17th that was sealed by Dawson’s 56-yard field goal in the final two minutes.

Trent Edwards went 16 for 31 for 152 yards and an interception.

The Browns will be in Pittsburgh next week to play the 3-2 Steelers.

6 Responses to “Browns Win Ugly; Top Bills 6-3 in Buffalo”

1. Dan says:

If I owned a team and my starting QB had the dismal game that DA had, he would be traded instantly or ride the bench the rest of the year. I would sit his butt right next to the offensive coordinator. Mangini has destroyed any sense of a team we had, prior to this season. Doesn’t Mangini oversee the rest of the coaches? Can’t he see that Daboll is nothing but a loser and a strain on the payroll? I would also fine receivers who drop passes right in their hands. What do they make millions of dollars for? To hold onto the ball, right? The D line had a sub par performance, again. The D backfield did pretty good. Special teams looked good too, but the QB and receivers sucked. FINE them or cut their salaries. The Browns don’t stand a chance of winning another game until 11/22 against the Lions. The Chiefs and Raiders are possibilities also. I’m going 3-13 for the year. Even though today was a win, there is no body who can honestly say they are happy about todays win. Relax everyone, the Cavs are ready to go.

2. Chris says:

Probably the ugliest win any team will see in years. I’ll take it since it’s a win and we are starving for those right now. But you gotta be kidding me.

I will say Dan I’m a little more hopeful than you are. I agree with your assessments of the winnable games you mentioned. But I think we can also possibly get San Diego and Jacksonville. Since Merriman started becoming injury-prone, the Chargers haven’t been quite the fearsome team we’ve become accustomed to thinking of in recent years. And Jacksonville’s no longer the defensive force they once were either. Very inconsistent team these days and if we win all games I believe we can in that part of the year, we might have enough juice left in the tank to take the Jags out. You’re 3-13 is probably right. But in my mind our upside is 6-10. Still ugly but since a late push to 6-10 might make Mangini’s job status more comfortable than it ought to be, I can see it happening.

I swear we have Ryan and Mangini inverted. Rob should be the coach and Mangini the co-ordinator. The Ryans have a clue. Was Mangini even anything higher than quality control coach (whatever that even is)before going to the Jets?

This was about as bad a football game as I have ever seen. Life after Braylon doesn’t look much better than life with Braylon. Far too many passes behind the receivers and the “laser” touch on 7-yard routes — I mean, Anderson has been in the pro’s for several years, now, it’s beyond the time he figures this one out. It’s a W, but I wouldn’t feel very good about it.

4. Dan B. says:

A win, yes. Something to be proud of, no. DA should be embarrassed to cash his paycheck, he made Charlie Frye look like Dan Marino. As far as beating the Lions, who are we kidding, they at least show up to play, Stafford was better than DA today and he did not even play!

5. nflslippers says:

A win is a win no matter what

I’m feelin like Mangini is waaaay early and deserves much more time; again, new team, new players, coaches, OC, DC, etc., etc.,
    HOwever, i’m hearing more and more trade rumors about Quinn, and I think that’s a mistake. DA was behind too many routes on his throws, even with the wind. I think a trade for Quinn would be to his benefit, as we have ruined too many QBs without proper instruction/guidance since we are back. Playeverybody. let the cream rise and the wheat seperate from the chaff. TRY to get Da to develope a touch and stop staring down the receivers he’s going to from the snap, and maybe he’ll be okay. But Quinn got stuck in with top defenses and got pulled without an honest chance. Let it be written, let it be done.