Browns Place LB Veikune on IR

The Browns placed rookie linebacker David Veikune on injured reserve and elevated running back Thomas Brown from the practice squad to the active roster.

Veikune, a second-round draft pick, has been inactive for five of the past six games. The Browns listed the No. 53 overall pick as out of Sunday’s game against Jacksonville on their injury report this week because of a knee injury. Veikune did not record a tackle in the 10 games he was active this season.

Thomas spent the past seven weeks on Cleveland’s practice squad after being signed on Nov. 10. A sixth-round pick by Atlanta in 2008, he spent his rookie season on injured reserve before being waived by the Falcons on Sept. 5.

Also, the Browns released defensive back Joe Porter off the practice squad.

8 Responses to “Browns Place LB Veikune on IR”

1. dale says:

Wow,another first day reach.This guy was a projected late 3rd or early 4th. We need to do better under Holmgren with 2nd,3rd and 4th round picks.Many people I talk to tend to be apologists for Robiskie because he was a buckeye. We have a bad recent history with OSU guys. He will most likely be a bust too. I hope I am wrong about that one.

Robiskie . . . that’s a tough one. I want him to do well because I like him — as a player and from what I know of him (admitedly little), as a person. Sort of like how I feel about DA; I really wanted him to succeed, because if he did it probably would mean that the team would be doing well, too. And I like him, too, as a person I have some familiarity. I hope he does well and wish him the best, no matter what happens. That being said, give Robiskie this: a new management headed by someone who knows a thing or two about offensive talent and scheming. One more year is not a huge investment to risk. Better than walking away from it during early years under these circumstances.

• dale says:

DA needs to go. HE caught lighting in a bottle in about 5 or 6 games in 2007 making everyone think he was better than he was. He misses on the simplest of throws and locks onto his primary receiver. I might also add that he has no mobility whatsoever. They need to trade him (what the F can they get for him?!Maybe something off the $ menu @ mcdonald’s!)or just waive him!

His salary will make that decision. The man is just not what we need at QB; he isn’t a criminal or anything. This is football, after all. It is a game and these are entertainers. Nobody dies if they lose.

3. dale says:

He’s a criminal from the standpoint that he is paid a QB’s salary,when practically every game he has started this past season he has failed to complete at least 50% of his passes and throws for about 70 yards! About the only thing he did right the last 2 games was hand the ball to Harrison. On your other point I die a little bit every time they lose. It’s amazing I have the strengh to type this!

I’ve spent far too many a Sunday afternoons for far too many years watching these guys do whatever it is they have been doing. Having survived both cancer and a heart attack, I can tell you that losing a football game is not only not in the same ballpark, it’s not even the same sport and certainly not worth “dying a little” when they lose. A lot of perspective is needed here. I repeat: DA is not a criminal; he is an ineffective QB and that is all. Let it go at that and move on.

I respectfully have to agree with deno on this one. I hve said all along that DA is not the guy, and by now if you can’t see why you’re not being honst and objective. But I don’t think for a minute he hasn’t given his heart to try, and it must kill a guy llike that to have to suck it up, move on and start over.
    When I was younger I too ‘died a little’ emotionally on losses; but that was a product of youth.

5. dale says:

I’m just trying to add some humor to this. Relax a little bit,half of what I type is all in good fun. I think all three of us need to get together next season and watch the much improved Browns. We will do shots of yeager and get drunk off our asses!!!