Will Stallworth be Back in Cleveland?

Could Dante Stallworth be in uniform for the Browns next year? Stallworth and the commissioner will be meeting very soon and a decision on Stallworths 2010 status should be decided with the outcome of the meeting. Stallworth has stayed out trouble since his misfortune last offseason.

Stallworth also under contract with the Browns and with them desperately needing help at the Wide Receiver position, do you consider keeping Stallworth here to help the team. Stallworth didn’t do anything in his first year as a Cleveland Brown and expected a bonus coming up that I don’t think the Browns will pay but what if they did and he was on the team next year.

Would Stallworth help the offense out next season? Could Stallworth be the number one Receiver on a offense that lacks any playmakers. Holmgren was asked about it today and his response was he wasn’t talking about the matter at this time. He didn’t come out and say he wasn’t going to give the man a second chance. Also the Browns haven’t cut him yet. This is another interesting matter for the Browns in 2010.

6 Responses to “Will Stallworth be Back in Cleveland?”

At best, Stallworth is a third receiver, as I see it. He has also been out of football for a year, which is no biggie considering that injuries can remove a player for a year, too. It could be a really good thing. I could see bringing in Vick and help him rehab his career and bringing back Stallworth and help him rehab his career. Both these guys made serious character errors, but they also stood up and took their punishment. After watching Mark McGuire, Ray Lewis, and the NBA parade of miscreants, I can live with any man trying to legitimately renew his soul. I am a big fan of rehabilitation and second chances that are earned. Forgiveness is a huge part of what life is all about and to me, anyway, the act of forgiveness shows as much quality as the person asking to be forgiven. Remember those old Raider teams — with all their cast-offs and rejects? They were fun to watch — and had some rings mixed in to go with it.

2. pyelor says:

At the least, Stallworth’s speed could spread the field making Mo Mass more effective. By having two speedy receivers, defenses will have to take people out of the box making the tight end, slot receiver and running game more effective.

I don’t see keeping him as a bad move but I’d understand if they didn’t. I give it a 50/50 chance at best.

I have not problem with this guy getting a chance, as his crime was one that could have happened to any of us. His was not a character flaw as I see it; at least not more than most of us. I know that exact spot where this happened, and it probably has happened before and will again. but if it’s not a million dollar athelete……

4. Chris says:

Please, NO! I don’t want Stallworth anywhere near this roster. And it’s not the “character” issue that’s my complaint. Y’all have covered that part well. If that were the only strike against him, I’d probably be game to bring him back.

My beef is that I didn’t want the guy in the first place. I was afraid of him doing pretty much what he did. I.E. going out and not being able to survive half the season and being a drag on our receiver depth. Let’s cut him loose and give that slot to a guy someone more like a David Patten. Someone who’s not been flashy in many years but knows the league and can help the young guys get up to speed from a player’s perspective. That would be more valuable that an injury waiting to happen like Stallworth.

I don’t see Cleveland playing for anything more than play-off appearance next year, at best. This means bringing in a guy like Patten makes no sense. Younger receivers who can grow and be the weapons you want for 2011 is the direction I see them going.

you make good sense and i’d have to agree with you. here’s hoping the new guys and mangini having more time to do what he does and should do will get these type things all straightened out.