Jake Delhomme and Browns Agree on 2-year deal.

The Cleveland Browns quarterback carousel continued today as they have acquired the second player at that position in less than a week. Recently cut Jake Delhomme has reportedly agreed to a 2-year contract with the Browns.

Delhomme’s agent Rick Smith said the veteran quarterback would be continuing his career with the Browns. He also said that Delhoome would sign his contract before the team begins their off season conditioning program.

Delhomme is the fourth quarterback on the roster that includes holdovers Brady Quinn, Brett Ratliff and the recently acquired Seneca Wallace. Many deep thinkers in the league think that Quinn will be traded before the draft.

The Browns said they have no comment and no press conference scheduled at this time

6 Responses to “Jake Delhomme and Browns Agree on 2-year deal.”

1. tbird says:

I grew up in ohio and i have been a browns fan for 59 years. For the past six years i have lived in charlotte nc and i have witnessed first hand the demise of jake D. He is over the hill and i am shocked that the browns would waste a penny on a old qb that has seen his better days. I was excited about the recent acqusitions that the browns have made with watson and the linebacker from the new orleans. Only the paul warfield for mike phipps deal could top the signing of jake d as the worst move in browns history. tbird

2. Dan B. says:

Thought Holmgren knew what he was doing. The Browns are MY #1 TEAM. I have been a Panthers fan because of some close friends that live there, they are my NFC team, still root for Browns when they play each other. I have seen Jake D. spiral down and kill the Panthers chances the last 3 years. With Quinn he has upside, where is the upside to a 35 year old that threw more INTs by himself than DA and BQ did together last year. Just when I thought I saw some light at the end of the tunnel with our other signings, nope, just the same old dumb mistakes!

The only thing I can think of is that Delhomme will be given the chance . . . the chance . . . to start. He has not been dubbed the starter by any stretch. Cleveland’s moves so far have not been spectacular. Pashos is better than St. Clair — but so is a wet paper towel. And Pashos’ pass blocking is suspect, at best. Fujita improves the LB corps and is a welcome addition to the locker room, from what I have read. Watson looks good — but why would the Pats let this guy go with no one but practice squad players on the roster at the TE position? Still, I like his addition. It looks to me like Seneca Wallace is going to be our starting QB.

I hope there is something going on we don’t see. This is real crapola. Unless he is already being ready to be packaged in a trade or somehow has the know how to mentor BQ and or a low round draft, I don’t see the logic here. Cleveland has really been a qb killer since coming back. regarless how you think of BQ, it couldn’t have possibly gone any worse for the guy. If they’re not gonna use him then for the firsttime i say trade him.

5. RUkidding says:

I would think Holmgren would address the much more problematic issue of not having any receivers that can catch a ball that hits them in the chest. I still don’t understand how a college team’s third receiver can handle the ball, but every Browns game I watch our WRs drop the simplest of catches. That being said, having Jake D throw the balls 5 feet above and behind them will not help the situation. I promised that if the Browns resigned Josh Cribbs then I would continue my inconceivable love of the Browns, but this move does not make next year look too promising. Please don’t trade BQ.

I am just sick and tired of new regimes bringing in their guys and starting over, period. Big show or not, here we go starting over again. I’m sorry, Jake is no better and may be worse than DA; and the logic of either wallace or another new draft pick when you have a guy here that hasn’t had enough time to play and make a few mistakes and improve, who is as intelligent as BQ, just does not make sense. especially with the friendly contract he has. good luck BQ. he egos in front of us are substantial.