Jennings arrested after partying by the Velvet Dog

Running back Chris Jennings was arrested early Saturday after a night of partying at the Velvet Dog:

Browns running back Chris Jennings was arrested early Saturday morning following an incident with a doorman at a Cleveland nightclub called The Velvet Dog and was arrested on suspicion of assault, according to police. According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Jennings hasn’t been charged with a crime. Jennings, who played at Arizona State, rushed for 220 yards in nine games last season.

13 Responses to “Jennings arrested after partying by the Velvet Dog”

1. Dan B. says:

Hey…..We are NOT Cincinnati!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. dale says:

This guy is a 3rd string RB who can be replaced very easily. Cut his stupid not know how the F to act in public ASS!!!

3. Kpleasy says:

The velvet dogs doormen are dirty cleveland cops, that run a scam out of there. They entice people that they think will react and arrest them on bullsh** charges then have thier buddy cops come pick em up. so the arresting officer isnt even at the scene of the suppoesed crime. this is a big problem that the city needs to address and i feel for Chris Jennings.

Is this the District in the Warehouse section of Cleveland? If it is, then there is probably more here than just Chris Jennings, to be sure. There is a lot of stuff that runs under the radar in any big town — and Cleveland, like all midwestern population centers (except Chicago) is really a town, not a city — has more than its share. CPD is no exception — and its reputation in District 4, for example, leaves much to be desired — especially towards minority business owners and patrons.

• dale says:

It sounds like “YOU” have an issue with cops. Most nightclubs attract many twenty-something males who act like five yearolds at Chuck E Cheese! Many ( NOT ALL ) pro athletes go out and act like they have a sense of entitlement ( Big Ben, to cite one recent example ). People who are in charge of keeping the peace at theese places have a tough job and maybe you should see things from their perspective.

It is what it is, and I know what I know. No doubt, nightclubs do not attract the most mature of individuals, by their very nature. And, testosterone always flows during the substance-altered mating rituals of the species. But, to believe that the Blues do not go beyond the call of duty and in more than some instances provoke responses is naive. I’ve known more than a few good kids who had the living **** beat out of them by some overzealous yahoo wearing a badge at a local watering hole. So, problems with cops or no, my perspective is that it is far better to wait until we hear all the facts before immediately concluding that the officers are right. That’s all I’m sayin’.

5. dale says:

The vast majority of cops are good and do their job properly. They rarely beat “GOOD KIDS”. My friend’s 19yearold daughter just got arrested for drug possesion,yet he still maintains she is a “good kid”.We have become a society who are nothing more than apologists for bad behavior,especially if it’s our own kids. Like you said we will wait for the facts,but Jennings is SOOOO expendable who really cares! I will not lose any sleep!

I agree with a lot you BOTH say. cuz there’s truth in what you both say. What I first thought was, anyone who doesn’t have the sense, or feels he somehow has the need to challenge, let alone punch an off duty cop that is barring you or a friend from a club or any entry, who clearly has the authority and is there for that purpose, is either too stupid or has a major problem to begin with and needs counceling to be amongst the normal in day to day living. Is his ego so big he can’t see that it is better to avoid the situation? I mean this just begs to be labled dumb.

7. Kpleasy says:

i have no problem with good cops, i just know first hand that this place employs dirty ones. an off duty fire fighter, who it was obviouse was friends with the cops, pushed my buddy. my friend pushed him back and this guy flopped, almost instantly the cops were dragging my friend out the bar. mind you this was towards the back of the bar and these cops were supposed to be guarding the door. how did they get through the packed bar at least 50 feet from the door if they didnt know it was goin to happen. then after they took him outside the fire fighter and his buddy, badgered my friend while he was cuffed and threatend me all in front of these cops. what did the cop do? told my father and i to “get the F out of here” when we asked where we could pick my buddy up. as we were leaving, at least 2 bars down the the sidewalk, he arrests us for not leaving fast enough.

I think in cases like this, assuming ecerything you say is accurate and true (cuz I don’t know you and there is obviously booze involved) this should be followed through with. I’d write a letter to the club owner; the chief of police; the mayor’s office; for sure the councilman’s office of the ward; and most of all, my lawyer. Actually one letter with copies to all. But what i’d do most is stay the heck away from this club, and I’d make sure all my friends knew about it, and the PD, Fox news, and whowever would listen.
    You can scream it’s your right to be there all you want. But without the good sense to stay away, no judge or jury or person reading an article in the paper is gonna side with you.
    It’s not worth what can happen to prove your point.

But, it doesn’t work that way. First, they charge with all kinds of stuff — and always include a resisting arrest. Once — if — an experienced criminal lawyer gets involved and starts questioning conduct and interviewing witnesses — a rarity in these type of cases — the charges are reduced to a minor misdemeanor (no jury and no time, only a fine — analogous to a traffic ticket)or only the resisting arrest is prosecuted: it is the easiest to make stick (only the arrest has to be legal; the original charges don’t have to stick) and you have, after all, a bunch of Blues testifying how resistant the person was. You can complain all you want; chances are nothing will ever be done.

Your scenario is too often repeated….when you don’t follow through, and when a private suit is not brought. First, staying away and ‘killing’ the business of the club is impportant. It is amazing how fast when the rep gets out it kills the head. But if in the middle of a crowded club you can’t find a witness or two to back your story, or previous incidents which in cases like this will quickly multiply and expose a problem, the chances are very good there is good reason for both sides being implicated in wrong doing, and share fault.
    But in general, when it is a situation like you say, and it does happen, who wants to be in that vicinity or have ANYTHING to do with that scene? There is no fun there. There is nothing but trouble there. If as an adult you haven’t learned to recognize that and steer clear, well, there’s lesson no. one.