Despite having McCoy, Browns to look for a QB again in 2011

It sounds like Colt McCoy is headed for the role of backup?! That’s the word from Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post, who says that the Browns will again be in search of a QB next year in the draft or free agency:

I know much has been made of the Colt McCoy pick by Cleveland, but in reality, this pick will not stop the Browns from drafting a quarterback next year. McCoy is viewed more as backup than a potential starter by team brass. Expect the Browns to get involved in scouting the top QBs in the draft next year.

10 Responses to “Despite having McCoy, Browns to look for a QB again in 2011”

Delhomme is the presumptive starter for this year and maybe the next, depending on what develops. McCoy was not brought in to ride the pines. With the players that were available when they picked him, it would have been foolish to draft him when there were potential starters still on the board, if that were the strategy. Assuming Cleveland improves to 8-8 next year, then they will not be picking in the top 10. The [possibility of getting a high-=round pick evaporates with a better record. Maybe round 2 or 3, but with fewer picks and later in teh rounds, I don’t think so.

2. Chris says:

So not what I want to hear on May 2. It can be true. I don’t so much care about that part. The last thing I’d want the team doing is failing to do their due diligence. This just seems to be the football version of the Hollywood gossip that’s none of my business. Let management scout who they will and talk to me about potential team needs in 2011 closer to 2011.

Right now, I want to give Colt McCoy time to possibly develop beyond management’s expectations. I want to have time for Seneca Wallace to possibly benefit from that Holmgren magic and be the reason McCoy stays a backup. Assuming McCoy does in the first place. Let’s have the season and then the press and we fans can talk about QB needs if they are still that dire come New Year’s Day. So much can happen between now and then. How about we let it and let management worry about scouting strategies until further notice?

It’s this kind of presumptuous paper bag inflating that makes me sympathetize with my sister and her pathological hatred of quarterbacks. This kind of talk now is loser-think. And if we’re going to engage in that, maybe we shouldn’t have brought in the new regime. Or worse yet maybe Derek Anderson was right when he left town.

3. Dan B. says:

Mike Lombardi is an idiot, that is why he works for the NFL Network spewing rumors and lies and not working for a football franchise. He has been around the league more than Modonna has! McCoy has not even taken one snap and he is now a career backup according to this chimp?!

Lombardi was saying all draft day what a great talent McCoy is and Cleveland is a perfect fit for him and how Cleveland has not had a QB like him since their return to the NFL. Make up your mind you chimp.

Yes the Browns are going to draft a QB, possibly as a backup tfor McCoy, Delhomme is horrible and won’t play for more than a year or two (hopefully none)so yeah, we need more than just two QBs.

4. Kory says:

No one can tell on May 2. My guess would be this was leaked from Berea so that McCoy has 0 pressure. He can just watch and learn and avoid all controversy. That way when he gets in the game he doesnt press… IMO

5. Kory says:

I love the add in the top right corner, who wants a Browns Quinn jersey?

• dale says:

I had two that I traded with a friend who works at a sports memorabilia shop for a nice Browns wool pennant. I still have a Couch jersey that I wear when I clean my apartment.

This is exactly why you can’t listen to the media, local or national. Of course they plan to look for a qb, probably every year. As need arises they’ll pick backups and prax squad guys. They’re taking a very low key story….i can’t believe i just called it a story…they made it one, cuz they’re trying to keep interest. like the weather guys..the sky is falling, the sky is falling…okay, it’s gonna miss us. but aren’t you glad we’re there to let you know. they gotta draft, or plan on drafting qb’s until they have their compliment, first, second and third; maybe even prax squad. but this year i THINK…Del starts, gets bumped after a couple, three or four games, seneca comes in for the majority until they try colt who will be ahead of schedule and get some prax games in since we’re not getting any titles but will be exciting and compete in his games.
    IMHO

It is what passes for news these days. You can thank Rupert Murdock and Faux News for this. Whatever. The Delhomme meltdown and Wallace replacement is certainly one scenario. So is Delhomme resurrecting himself in a new environment with an offensive scheme that suits his playing abilities, whatever those turn out to be. Or Wallace plays so well that he actually starts. We just do not know — yet. What we do know is that this team can win some games with a solid ground game that forces in the box deployment and allows even a limited passing attack to work. Even in Pittsburgh’s glory years of the 70s, Swann and Stallworth did not have that many balls thrown to them per season. Different era, I know, but Bradshaw was not all that talented of a QB. On most other teams, he might not have flourished as he did in Pittsburgh.

I’m not sure where writing this would be most appropriate, but since this is on qb’s…..
    I just had to comment on NFL channel this morning, talking qb’s at Denver, the little guy in the middle, ex-player, states how Brady Quinn is gonna be the guy there from his sources, as last year the sstarter couldn’t get the ball down field, and the other is too new, so because of hes ‘strong arm’ he’s gonna be no. one.
    Now I didn’t say this, he did. while showing clips of the Detroit game and the long passes in it.