NT Shaun Rogers a player on the trade block for the Browns

James Walker, ESPN AFC North blogger points out that one player that the Browns could look to move before tomorrow’s trade deadline is NT Shaun Rogers, who has fallen out of favor with Eric Mangini, and didn’t play all that much Sunday vs the Steelers.

In Cleveland, defensive lineman Shaun Rogers is a player I’m hearing rumblings about. Rogers curiously didn’t play much against Pittsburgh despite some injuries along Cleveland’s defensive line.

Should the Browns move Rogers? If so, what should they look for? How about a starting or at least a backup wide out, as the team has had issues there from day one, and now with injuries to two players, they need someone that can help catch the football.

7 Responses to “NT Shaun Rogers a player on the trade block for the Browns”

1. Michael Ball says:

If we’re going to trade Rogers, I’m looking for a good cover safety over the top to replace Elam and a solid, veteran corner to replace Wright along with a prospect somewhere, possibly to bolster the receiving corp. There were far too many big plays given up in our defensive backfield yesterday. When a team is pinned at their 4 yard line and ends up in your red zone 2 plays later, there’s something wrong.

2. Juston says:

Replacing Wright is a must. He has almost single handedly cost us atlaest 2 or more games. If we don’t do something to improve the secondary we’re not going anywhere this year. And we need to do it soon or Drew Brees is going to have a field day Sunday. Along with every other QB in the league. A wide out would be nice too.

3. Michael Ball says:

Just a thought here.

Could we remove Elam from the lineup and put Wright back at safety and inject Haden at Wright’s corner spot?

4. Eddie Rodriguez says:

Trade Rodgers and get what we can for him. I’ve been saying it all year WE NEED A RECEIVER!!!! With Cincy and Bal adding Owens, Housh, and Boldin. And Pittsburgh having Wallace and Ward. Why are we settling for Massaquoi and Stucky. Don’t get me wrong Stucky has looked good but we have no one that can stretch the field. Could of had all the forementioned names and could have made a trade for Randy Moss.(Now granted none of them probably wanted to come to Cleveland but make an attempt.) With young McCoy throwin the rock he’s gonna need a WR,and now with Mass and Cribbs out it won’t get easier.

Our secondary needs help too, don’t know who’s available there though.

WR wise I still like Vincent Jackson,(but Mangini prolly doesn’t). Jackson is still a good player, see if SD will come down on their asking price. Also why not even try Larry Fitzgerald, I know he’s prolly not happy getting less reps with Max Hall and DA throwing to him. Colt throwing deep to Fitzgerald, oh baby that’d be a sight!
    Or how bout Anthony Gonzalez, he seems to be the odd man out in Indy.

If I come home from work tomorrow and see no new Wr’s I’m gonna be really depressed!

Later!

5. Trisket says:

I was pleasantly suprised with the performance of Colt McCoy. But, he does not have the arm to “throw deep.” If the Browns are looking for a WR, the need to find a fearless guy who is not afraid to go over the middle, that can rack up the YAC. Like it or not, we are becoming a West Coast offense.

As far as Eric Write, they need to get him help over the top. As good as T.J. Ward has played, he is not a ball hawk. As far as Abe Elam goes, he is an older slower T.J. Ward, that doesn’t hit as hard. If they are going to move anyone from the corner spot to safety, I believe it would be Sheldon Brown.

I’m not against trading Shaun Rogers, as long as they get someone that can improve the team, which will not be hard to do. I’d like to see an actual Outside Linebacker on this team. Matt Roth has no business dropping back in coverage. He is a great pass rusher, but we need a guy who can do both.

GO BROWNS!!

6. Jeremy says:

Anthony Gonzalez is hurt … he is out. Vincent Jackson would be awesome but their GM tries to deal pennies for dollars. Arizona would never deal Fitz because sadly for the NFC west … they are still in the running to win the division. We whiffed at Patrick Crayton who i thought could be a nice addition (I predicted he could gain 800 yds rec 6 td’s). Our secondary is giving up big plays but I feel that a lot of those times are when we blitz seven and dont get to the QB. Our front 7 is SLLLLOOOOOWWWW. I would like to see “washed up” Shawn Merriman come into Cleveland and get back to his blue collar play similar to his rookie year in the league, before he went hollywood. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Carlton Mitchell hit the field and play with Colt McCoy, the same QB he worked with all off-season.

7. Chris says:

I like the way you’re thinking there, Jeremy. Only thing I might argue with is Vincent Jackson. He’s the same kind of attitude we were shedding last year.I have creeping horrors whenever folks say we should bring in Jackson. I keep having visions of him coming here and getting fat,dumb,and happy. Which in turn becomes an excuse for him losing his effectiveness. The last thing we should be doing right now is overpaying some punk for past performance.

But I love the Merriman idea. Dude has the kind of fire in the belly we need in this defense. He’s low risk because everybody thinks he’s washed up. But yet in the right situation, he could also have a good seven or eight years in him. Dude’s only 26 IIRC. Which means he has plenty of reason to be motivated. That’s a calculated gamble I could see taking.

And activating Mitchell sounds good too. The familiarity would probably help McCoy out there on the field and Lord knows we could use extra help in the receiving corps. McCoy got his opportunity this weekend because the position was depleted. Now thanks to James Harrison, the opening may never be bigger for Mitchell. We’re 1-5. Let’s see what the young fellow’s got.