The Cleveland Browns lost their starting QB from 2014 to the Houston Texans, and their best wide out Josh Gordon, was suspended for the season for again violating the NFL drug policy. Bold 2015 draft moves that will impact the NFL football lines at Mybookie.ag.
Oh and in case you didn’t hear, one of their first-round picks from a year ago, a guy that could get the QB spot in 2015, is still in rehab.
Let’s just say it hasn’t been a great offseason for the Browns.
The team has made some pickups, getting former Chiefs wide out Dwayne Bowe to take the spot of Gordon as the teams best WR, and they also got QB Josh McCown as a mentor for QB Johnny Manziel, who reports say will be out of rehab in April.
There’s still plenty of things to do, and today we look at five needs for the Browns they have yet to address this offseason.
1. Don’t let this QB thing linger – The team seems committed to Manziel, and while the club inked both McCown and Thad Lewis, the club in the long run wants to go with ‘Johnny Football,’ this despite him having six of the worst quarters of football you’ll ever see last season. Look for the Browns to still tickle the draft board come the second day of the draft with picking a QB that will only add more intrigue to the position.
2. The Club Needs Another WR – Okay so they got Dwayne Bowe, but what Bowe they are getting is going to go a long way into how many more WR’s they need on this roster for whatever QB is throwing them the football. The team still has undersized Andrew Hawkins, Miles Austin and Travis Benjamin to go along with Bowe, but they need more than that to be competitive.
3. More QB Pressure – At times last season QB’s from opposing teams could order a pizza, get it delivered, and eat it before the Browns would find a way to reach him. With that the club will need to get more from their D-line, as well as their linebackers who need to find a way to get heat on the QB. For now, the QB’s for other teams are just too good and have way too much time to throw.
4. They Need a New Nose – The Browns had big issues at the Nose Tackle spot last season, and teams seemed to be able to run the ball right up the gut when they wanted to. They lost Ahtyba Rubin, who was no big loss the way he played last year. They do need to look long and hard at the draft to see if there’s a player in the middle that can help out, and possibly take up two players with this size and strength. That person didn’t exist last season.
5. Stop Messing with Pettine – The Browns coach did a nice job in his first season, getting a team that had no business winning seven games to a 7-9 record. The club had wayyyyyyyyy too much off the field issues with GM Ray Farmer getting involved in personal decisions, and it made offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan hightail it out of town. If Farmer wants to coach, he should coach. If not, leave Pettine alone.